Monday, November 9, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I just finished this book today and it's left me pained. I don't know how else to describe it. I think the holocaust was a horrific and tragic event in our history. I can't understand that kind of hate. I recently read The Diary of Anne Frank and what leaves me the most saddened is the loss of potential. All the lives of these people just like me my family and friends -- taken for no reason except being Jewish. Doctors, poets, mothers, children, teachers, etc. People with great futures and dreams. Normal people living normal lives ripped from their homes and lives and families. What a tragedy. I can't stop thinking about it. Heavy, I know but right now I'm so sad about it. Why do people hate? I've decided not to hate--I don't think I hate anyone but if reading about things like this has taught me anything it is that we must not hate. It leads to sadness and persecution and revenge and destroying peoples lives. Hate is evil.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! My son has told me all about this movie and book! I must read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave and I watched the movie a few months ago. Thought provoking and sad - but we enjoyed it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see the movie now--i I should probably clarify that I did enjoy the book--but was a little traumatized. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derek read this book last year. My mom told me to read it too. But I just read the cellist if sarajevo, and I need a non depressing book first.

    ReplyDelete