Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lest we forget

Since tomorrow is Veteran's Day or in Canada we call it Remembrance day, I wanted to honor two of my heroes. My Grampa Baldry who passed away a little over a year ago and my Grampa Hicken who is 90 years old. They both fought in WWII.
This is my Grampa Baldry who fought mostly in Italy and Holland. He was something of an engineer, I believe and he was special trained to build and dismantle special bridges that allowed the troops to continue their paths after bridges had been bombed out. My Grampa was very much a homebody and I can't imaging how hard it was for him. One thing he said in his history was, "I wondered if I would ever again see the prairies of Alberta, the beautiful rocky Mountains, the little town of Coaldale, my parents and family and friends but it was too late as I had voluntarily made a commitment to serve my country. I was needed, there was a job to be done." 
In my Grampa Baldry's history he shares what it was like liberating the country of Holland. He said, "Oh how we were welcomed as we moved north! It is difficult to put into words the feelings we shared with the dutch people. they were thankful to see us. In many instances we were literally mobbed by young and old. It was a mayhem of huggings and kisses, tears and laughter, dancing and then many prayers of thanks. I often shed tears when I think of what a terrible 5 years the people of Holland had experienced under the occupation of the German forces. I shall never forget the drawn faces and emaciated bodies of the starving people, especially the very old and the very young. The look of, "can this really be happening," soon changed from wonderment and caution to happiness and thankfulness as tears rolled down their cheeks. This was the most rewarding and emotional time of WWII for me and something I will never forget. " 
I thought of this when I recently read the Diary of Anne Frank. It felt a little more personal knowing that my Grampa was involved in the liberation of those people--even thought for Anne it was too late.  I'm so proud of my Grampa Baldry. 
This is a poem we recite a lot around Remembrance day in Canada. As a side note I was chosen one year to recite it as part of a Remembrance day program. I remember my mom sending me to have some voice coaching so I could recite it with expression and the right intonation. Funny. We also wear the poppy for remembrance day. It is a red flower that grows over many soldiers graves in Europe.

This is my Grampa Hicken. He was in the Airforce. This was the airplane that he flew in the war. 
Here he is with my Grama. 
That's him again in the middle.
I don't have as much information about his war experiences but I am resolved to find out more. I do know that he was very brave and recieved many medals of honor. As I find out  more I will edit this post. I love my Grampa's so much and will always be grateful for their bravery. 

6 comments:

  1. Hey mind. That is such a great post. We do have pretty wonderful grandpa's!!!! Grandpa Hicken did a CD. I should find it for you and copy it and send it to you. I'll get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this Mindi. Since I don't have any family who served in the war, I live through yours. You have an amazing heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some amazing photos that you have, thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, what a great post! How fun to see those pictures and know that your grandpa's were soo involved! And what handsome men they were....funny how we don't ever think of them being young and handsome like that.....can't wait to hear more.

    P.S. The Flander's Field poem is by one of my great Uncle's....that is my tiny heritage that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy, I had to read Flanders over the intercom in school to - terrifying(for me). Loved all the stories from your grandpa Balldry. Amazing. I've been stalking your blog for a while and I love how you give your book reviews. I may need to copy that on mine. E-mail mail me at zoeharker@hotmail.com so i can invite you to my blog (it's private). oh by the way this is zoe, not kyriffic kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos and your tribute to your Grandpas.

    ReplyDelete