Saturday, May 8, 2010

More memories of Mom


I'm going to catch up...


My mom was very musical. She grew up learning music from my grama and sang quartets with my aunts. She was really good at singing and harmonizing. I remember that she was always harmonizing to my music, which when I was a teenager I thought was so annoying. But now I find my self doing the same thing and it almost always makes me think of my mom. She sang a lot of barber shop with my aunts and always sang in the ward choir. She also always had music playing. When I was little I remember Blondie, Barry Manilow, Anne Murray, etc. She also usually had a part in the town musical theater.



My mom was a really good cook. She made almost everything from scratch. She was a great baker and made homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, cookies, pies etc. I loved coming home from school to her fresh baked bread or especially cinnamon rolls. She always had a hot meal for lunch since we all came home for lunch(small town). She loved trying new things. I remember when she took a chinese food cooking class--she started making the best chinese food from scratch. She also liked to involve us in her cooking and baking and taught us the tricks of the trade. Later I'll post a picture here of me and her in matching aprons(made by her) making cookies.



My mom was also an amazing seamstress. She could sew anything. When I was little she sewed us matching dresses. ( I also have a picture for that I will add.) She made us cabbage patch dolls, jackets, dresses etc. It was always a big joke that when we would go shopping and we'd find stuff we liked mom would go on about how she could "make that so easy"--but then wouldn't. She also made really cute baby blankets once the grandkids started coming.



Mom was super handy. She was for sure our family handiman--dad was just the back up. She told me once that dad was so busy with work and coaching and church stuff that she realized she would have to do the projects herself. She was great at figuring stuff out and did all kinds of projects around the house. She had a really good mind for figuring stuff 0ut--as well as the patience.







1 comment:

  1. I love your memories of your mom. My mom was the same with sewing clothes we saw in the store but would never get around to sewing them. It was such a great life back then. :)

    ReplyDelete