Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy birthday Mom

Today's my mom's Birthday. I am flying up to Canada this weekend to be with my family so we can celebrate her birthday together.
As a tribute to my mom I want to share something. A few months after my mom died I was listening to Dr. Laura. A lady called in and was despondent over the death of her mother. She couldn't function and couldn't move on with her life. Dr. Laura's response really helped me to understand some things I was going through at the time. I had been feeling guilty that it was so easy for me to come home from that summer with my mom and resume my life. I wondered why I wasn't feeling more like the lady calling in to the show. Her response to the lady was that it would be a tribute to her mother to pick up the pieces and live her life the way her mom had taught her. Although, I didn't know who that woman's mom raised her to be...I knew right then what kind of person my mom raised ME to be. I knew right then why I am able to continue on in her absence even though she was such an integral part of my life. She raised me to have faith, to pray, to rely on the Lord. She taught me that you have to live life. Never waste time feeling sad for yourself. She really did this. She rarely showed self-pity. I really never saw it. She taught me to be strong and independent. She taught me to be positive and to see the blessings in my life. I'm so grateful to her for the kind of woman that she raised me to be and for preparing me to get through the trials of life with more strength and understanding. Thanks mom.


My mom as a cute little girl (3rd from left)

My mom loving Caroline.

I love this picture of my mom and dad.


My mom's senior portrait.


My mom in action--doing what she loved--fussing over the grandkids.





5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Mom!!! What a great woman! I love ya mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cute and sweet. i loved reading it. so simple and true. just like your mom. i am so grateful for her in so many ways. can't wait to see you so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, hope you have a great weekend.
    Your Mom raised an amazing daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Your mom was amazing and I still have her funeral announcement in my kitchen, my kids know who she is......cuz her picture is always there. :-) Thanks for a great post. Hope you enjoy your weekend home. Take care and tell you family HELLO! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very sweet post. She sounds wonderful and so are you. I hope you enjoy your weekend celebrating with the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete